Re: Google's answer to the ...

KDT
SubjectRe: Google's answer to the iPad3 has just arrived...
FromKDT
Date11/02/2012 22:10 (11/02/2012 14:10)
Message-ID<560ca837-62a1-4def-b51b-09461cb98af5@googlegroups.com>
Followsed
FollowupsFlint (2h & 59m) > KDT
ed (3h & 38m) > KDT
FDK (4h & 21m) > KDT

On Thursday, November 1, 2012 12:35:33 PM UTC-4, ed wrote:

ed
On Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:12:53 AM UTC-7, KDT wrote: =20

On Thursday, November 1, 2012 12:19:43 AM UTC-4, ed wrote:

=20

We will see when the benchmarks come out....

=20

the t604 is a better class, higher clocked fpu, with more cores, than=

the mali 400, which is known to be an excellent gpu. saying that we'll wa= it for benchmarks to see if it has good peformance is like saying we'll nee= d to wait for benchmarks to see if a new quad core 3ghz xeon mac pro has be= tter performance than an old core duo mac.

=20

-----

=20

--------

As I said, wait on the benchmarks. The nexus 10 is not only slower than the= latest ipad, it's slower than the iPhone 5.=20 http://www.anandtech.com/show/6426/ipad-4-gpu-performance-analyzed-powervr-= sgx-554mp4-under-the-hood

=20

=20

Because it's not like a flagship Android tablet (i.e. the Xoom) has eve=

r benched slower than an iPad even with a faster CPU.

=20 =20 =20 almost irrelevant, and largely incorrect. you must be talking xoom vs og =

ipad if you're talking a slower cpu in the ipad. and i've noticed you've m= oved from the gpu to the cpu. jeebus, stick to one thing at a time... but= what benchmark would you like to compare? here's a couple to get you star= ted:

=20 http://www.glbenchmark.com/compare.jsp?benchmark=3Dglpro25&showhide=3Dtru=

e&certified_only=3D1&D1=3DMotorola%20Xoom&D2=3DApple%20iPad=20

=20 http://jeftek.com/1942/motorola-xoom-sunspider-results/ =20 =20 =20 =20 =20 but look, we know the last gen mali performs very well on android. this =

thing is going to be better in almost all respects. i can't believe, based= on just that, you won't admit this thing is going to be a performer. ;D

=20 =20 =20 =20 =20

Without actually seeing the display, or knowing anything about =

the graphics performance?

=20

=20

=20

we know the mali t604 is fast...

=20

=20

=20

And we also know that the Dalvik VM can suck performance out of the=

fastest chips....

=20

=20

=20

not really.

=20

=20

=20

http://techztalk.com/techwebsite/03-19-11-apple-a5-processor-smokes-nvi=

dia-tegra-2-chip

=20

=20

=20

And yes Linpack does use Dalvik...

=20

=20

=20

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1562/4/

=20 =20 =20 linpack kind of sucks as a general purpose benchmark... well, most bench=

marks suck as a general purpose benchmark, but ok. ;D what you show doesn= 't even begin to address your point though- how much of the deltas above ar= e you attibuting to dalvik, and how much to hardware differences? i.e. on = the glbench, we know the results of textures would be mostly hardware- it's= well known the tegra 2 sucks there...

=20 =20 =20

You wouldn't happen to be one of those people who think Java can run "j=

ust as fast as native" would you? I thought those people died out over a = decade ago.

=20 =20 =20 certainly not for general purposes, and certainly not swing. some things=

, sure (i've done the benchmarks).

Flint (2h & 59m) > KDT
ed (3h & 38m) > KDT
FDK (4h & 21m) > KDT