Re: Google's answer to the ...

ed
SubjectRe: Google's answer to the iPad3 has just arrived...
Fromed
Date11/01/2012 17:35 (11/01/2012 09:35)
Message-ID<798f02a5-9a7a-46bf-9056-cbc5c058ce9f@googlegroups.com>
FollowsKDT
FollowupsKDT (1d, 4h & 34m) > ed

On Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:12:53 AM UTC-7, KDT wrote:

KDT
On Thursday, November 1, 2012 12:19:43 AM UTC-4, ed wrote:

We will see when the benchmarks come out....

ed
the t604 is a better class, higher clocked fpu, with more cores, than t=

he mali 400, which is known to be an excellent gpu. saying that we'll wait= for benchmarks to see if it has good peformance is like saying we'll need = to wait for benchmarks to see if a new quad core 3ghz xeon mac pro has bett= er performance than an old core duo mac.

KDT
----- =20 Because it's not like a flagship Android tablet (i.e. the Xoom) has ever =

benched slower than an iPad even with a faster CPU.

almost irrelevant, and largely incorrect. you must be talking xoom vs og ip= ad if you're talking a slower cpu in the ipad. and i've noticed you've mov= ed from the gpu to the cpu. jeebus, stick to one thing at a time... but w= hat benchmark would you like to compare? here's a couple to get you starte= d: http://www.glbenchmark.com/compare.jsp?benchmark=3Dglpro25&showhide=3Dtrue&= certified_only=3D1&D1=3DMotorola%20Xoom&D2=3DApple%20iPad=20 http://jeftek.com/1942/motorola-xoom-sunspider-results/

but look, we know the last gen mali performs very well on android. this th= ing is going to be better in almost all respects. i can't believe, based o= n just that, you won't admit this thing is going to be a performer. ;D

=20

Without actually seeing the display, or knowing anything about th=

e graphics performance?

=20

ed
we know the mali t604 is fast...

KDT
=20

And we also know that the Dalvik VM can suck performance out of the f=

astest chips....

=20

ed
not really.

KDT
=20 http://techztalk.com/techwebsite/03-19-11-apple-a5-processor-smokes-nvidi=

a-tegra-2-chip

=20 And yes Linpack does use Dalvik... =20 http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1562/4/

linpack kind of sucks as a general purpose benchmark... well, most benchma= rks suck as a general purpose benchmark, but ok. ;D what you show doesn't= even begin to address your point though- how much of the deltas above are = you attibuting to dalvik, and how much to hardware differences? i.e. on th= e glbench, we know the results of textures would be mostly hardware- it's w= ell known the tegra 2 sucks there...

You wouldn't happen to be one of those people who think Java can run "jus=

t as fast as native" would you? I thought those people died out over a de= cade ago.

certainly not for general purposes, and certainly not swing. some things, = sure (i've done the benchmarks).

KDT (1d, 4h & 34m) > ed