Re: Google's answer to the ...

Flint
SubjectRe: Google's answer to the iPad3 has just arrived...
FromFlint
Date10/30/2012 23:32 (10/30/2012 18:32)
Message-ID<k6pki0$87u$1@dont-email.me>
Followssms
FollowupsKDT (1d, 1h & 3m)
sms (1d, 16h & 25m)

On 10/30/2012 2:34 PM, SMS wrote:

sms
On 10/29/2012 2:29 PM, Flint wrote:

Flint
http://techreport.com/news/23810/google-unveils-new-nexus-devices

The Google Nexus 10 tablet is here running 4.2 Jelly Bean OS, 2560x1600 HD display (I think it's AMOLED), 16GB for $399; 32GB for $499. The price points smoke Apple for this quality of a display.

Who would be nuts enough to buy a RetinaLESS $329 iPad mini/iPod Touch XL when for only $70 more, they can have a 10" HD display greater than Apple's latest iPad?

sms
Because a) they prefer iOS, b) they run apps not available on Android, c) they want a 7-8" tablet, not a 10" tablet.

To Apple cultists/fanboy perhaps, but Joe sixpack OTOH - I doubt he has an overwhelming preference for a 7" tablet over a 10" tablet if the larger tablet looks better. Generally, those who prefer a 7-8" tablet generally do so because of price, first and foremost. Nor does Joe sixpack care about iOS vs Android. He just wants whatever he uses to work smoothly and easily. To that end, either OS will work fine.

The competition for the Nexus 10 is not the iPad Mini, it's the 10" iPad 4 and other 10" tablets.

That may be so, but *pricewise*, the $399 Nexus 10 is most definitely a competitor to the $329 iPad mini. A $70 difference between them, but one has a better_than_iPad_4_ HD_resolution as opposed to a Retina-less mini tablet.

The point is I suspect that Joe Sixpack, if given a choice between a Nexus 10 or an iPad mini, it's Nexus 10 FTW.

It's very nice that Google is including a GPS on their Nexus Wi-Fi only tablets. I like to use my tablet as a GPS when traveling, especially foreign travel where I can either download Google Maps in advance, or purchase a foreign GPS Android app (such as CoPilot). With the iPad, you don't get a GPS in the Wi-Fi only models, you have to buy a 3G/LTE model to get a GPS, adding $130 to the cost. So the $399 16GB Nexus 10 competes more with the $629 16GB iPad 4. Yeah, you also get 3G/LTE for that extra $130, but the vast majority of tablet sales are for Wi-Fi only.

True.

Tim Cook seems determined to turn things around at Apple, and hopefully one of his goals will be to bring iPhones and iPads up to the level of the competition in terms of hardware specs. NFC, GPS, and simultaneous voice and 4G data need to be rolled out as soon as possible. Apple cannot rely on their superiority in terms of apps for much longer because Android is going to catch up pretty soon in terms of apps.

He also needs to compete a little more on price if he intends to hang onto marketshare, or attempt to carve out a marketshare in mini-tablet space.

Android tablets are putting some market pressure on Apple at both the top and bottom of tablet space.

Apple now has had an advantage with apps developers because their huge installed base and the greater willingness of iOS device owners to pay for apps makes iOS app development more lucrative. But Android devices sell in much larger quantities, so eventually the app developers will begin to favor Android.

Eventually I suppose, although I think Apple will enjoy an advantage in this area for quite some time yet. But it is inevitable that app developers will increasingly concentrate on Android and Windows RT as well, and Apple will see this advantage erode over time.

-- "We all should vote 'forward' - just don't vote Barack-ward..."

MFB

KDT (1d, 1h & 3m)
sms (1d, 16h & 25m)