Re: Google's answer to the ...

sms
SubjectRe: Google's answer to the iPad3 has just arrived...
Fromsms
Date10/30/2012 19:34 (10/30/2012 11:34)
Message-ID<50901dd0$0$71175$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net>
FollowsFlint
FollowupsFlint (3h & 57m) > sms

On 10/29/2012 2:29 PM, Flint wrote:

Flint
http://techreport.com/news/23810/google-unveils-new-nexus-devices

The Google Nexus 10 tablet is here running 4.2 Jelly Bean OS, 2560x1600 HD display (I think it's AMOLED), 16GB for $399; 32GB for $499. The price points smoke Apple for this quality of a display.

Who would be nuts enough to buy a RetinaLESS $329 iPad mini/iPod Touch XL when for only $70 more, they can have a 10" HD display greater than Apple's latest iPad?

Because a) they prefer iOS, b) they run apps not available on Android, c) they want a 7-8" tablet, not a 10" tablet.

The competition for the Nexus 10 is not the iPad Mini, it's the 10" iPad 4 and other 10" tablets.

It's very nice that Google is including a GPS on their Nexus Wi-Fi only tablets. I like to use my tablet as a GPS when traveling, especially foreign travel where I can either download Google Maps in advance, or purchase a foreign GPS Android app (such as CoPilot). With the iPad, you don't get a GPS in the Wi-Fi only models, you have to buy a 3G/LTE model to get a GPS, adding $130 to the cost. So the $399 16GB Nexus 10 competes more with the $629 16GB iPad 4. Yeah, you also get 3G/LTE for that extra $130, but the vast majority of tablet sales are for Wi-Fi only.

Tim Cook seems determined to turn things around at Apple, and hopefully one of his goals will be to bring iPhones and iPads up to the level of the competition in terms of hardware specs. NFC, GPS, and simultaneous voice and 4G data need to be rolled out as soon as possible. Apple cannot rely on their superiority in terms of apps for much longer because Android is going to catch up pretty soon in terms of apps. Apple now has had an advantage with apps developers because their huge installed base and the greater willingness of iOS device owners to pay for apps makes iOS app development more lucrative. But Android devices sell in much larger quantities, so eventually the app developers will begin to favor Android.

Flint (3h & 57m) > sms