Re: Mass Suicide Attempt at...

flint
SubjectRe: Mass Suicide Attempt at Factory
Fromflint
Date03/08/2012 06:30 (03/08/2012 00:30)
Message-ID<jj9g5e$4e9$1@dont-email.me>
Followsjames

On 3/7/2012 4:36 PM, james wrote:

james
"Lloyd" wrote in message news:jj8her$8nc$1@dont-email.me...

"Nashton" wrote in message news:jj8f0h$vm0$1@speranza.aioe.org...

On 03-06-12 10:43 PM, Flint wrote:

Lloyd
On 3/6/2012 8:19 PM, james wrote:

Nashton
"Flint" wrote in message news:jj6af9$is1$2@dont-email.me...

On 3/6/2012 5:16 PM, MuahMan wrote:

flint
Sounds like a wonderful place to work. Good Job Apple. Keep up your support of basic human rights.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/9006988/Mass-suicide-protest-at-Apple-manufacturer-Foxconn-factory.html

So who's eagerly anticipating iPad 3's launch tomorrow?

BTW, I will have this iPad 2(16GB) up for sale.

Nashton
You're replacing it with a new iPad? People who have them seem to like them. One strange duck said, "they're life changing."!! Perhaps a new life should be in order for them, rather than immersing themselves in a freaking toy. I honestly prefer a small laptop for a portable, but I only carry a computer around once in a while. An iPad is too cumbersome for everyday walking around. I hear they're perfect for the shitter though. That old expression comes to mind; "there's an ass for every seat".

Lloyd
Nope, I'm replacing it with a Asus Transformer. The iPad is a nice device, but I decided to get the money out of it while I still can. It was a gift, and I gave it a fair shot after 3 months of using it, but I'd still prefer the Transformer running ICS.

Since windows ARM tablets won't be out till next year, and no clear x86 based Win 8 tablets anytime soon, the Transformer it is...

james
Why not wait and get the transformer Prime? I just installed Windows 8 consumer preview on my Iconia w500 and it works like a charm. Battery life has improved and it runs at least 50% faster. It feels like Windows 7 on steroids. The kids like the Xbox integration on Windows 8 and the Xbox Live companion application. Whomever thinks this thing cannot eat into Apple's market share needs their head examined. ;)

Will this be the new tablet craze? MS has to get this one right or they will miss the boat for good. Scalable OSs for hardware from phones, to tablets to desktops/laptops. Sounds good. Apple relegated to a meager 2% market share in the tablet market is a possibility because the halo effect will be much more significant for Windows/MS than it will ever be for Apple/OSX. The iPad, like any other computer craze/wave will diminish until the next big thing.

As for Apple, I can see a further convergence of OSX with iOS, to the detriment of iOS, since iPads are useless apart from consuming media, IMNSHO.

I suspect it would be the other way around and at the detriment of OS X according to gripes from Apple users I've heard about the iOSian creep. There seems to be borne a similar sentiment from linux users regarding the newer Unity interferace (which I agree, it sucks).

People will eventually want to do more with tablets than use

fart apps and watch movies and if another less expensive device can do it and run MS office, photoshop and guitar rig, it will succeed.

Have you seen or tried to use Win8 preview on a desktop, non-touch computer? Absolutely horrible! With touch, it would be fine I suppose. But on the desktop, it reminds me of MS Bob in its simplicity.

Agreed. Win8 preview does suck on a desktop. Between having to weave in and out between two different UI's and the missing 'Start' orb method of accessing apps, I hate it on the desktop. Did you see Stardock even came out with a replacement start menu for it already? :)

Just looking at it on the desktop really shows why Apple didn't just port OSX to the iPad/Touch/iPhone, wrong OS for it. And Win8 has no place on the desktop unless what actually ships is hugely different from the preview.

Agreed 100%.

-- MFB