Re: Playbook 2.0

Nashton
SubjectRe: Playbook 2.0
FromNashton
Date02/24/2012 13:28 (02/24/2012 08:28)
Message-ID<ji7vpo$cpr$1@speranza.aioe.org>
FollowsAlan Baker

On 12-02-22 4:44 PM, Alan Baker wrote:

Alan Baker
In article<ji3ebo$o2l$1@speranza.aioe.org>, Nashton<nana@na.ca> wrote:

Nashton
On 02-22-12 9:53 AM, -hh wrote:

-hh
Sandman<m...@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
Nashton<n...@na.ca>wrote:

Nashton
Was it worth the wait? D... straight, it was!

-hh
The phrase "better late than never" comes to mind, although given that the iPad shipped two years ago with email ... and that RIM's core business has been email for businesses through the BlackBerry Enterprise Server (which the Playbook **still** doesn't support) ... the phrase "exercise in futility" may be a far better description, at least by some analysts:

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/BlackBerry-PlayBook-2-10-Reason s-Why-This-Tablet-Will-Fail-203924/ http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2012/02/sorry-rim-the-playbook-still-s.ph p

...although others have tried to be enthusiastic, although still also apologetic:

http://goodereader.com/blog/tablet-slates/blackberry-playbook-os2-update-is- finally-available/

Nashton
This thing rocks and the folks at RIM deserve some kudos for the fantastic work.

-hh
So then why doesn't Nick send them an IM thank-you via a Blackberry Messenger?

Oh...right: that RIM feature is still absent too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/22/technology/an-e-mail-app-arrives-for-the-b lackberry-tablet.html

Maybe Playbook 3.0 will have it, if RIM's current business plan of losing money on every sale (as per Abramsky, quoted by NYTimes) doesn't sink them by then.

Nashton
This thing just rocks. Android apps work as if they were written for it, sync via gmail, email, calendars, all work like a charm.

Flash too. I get to use what is available now, not some crippled device that can't browse the web and offer users the full experience of every single website.

Well done.

My next phone: A BlackBerry.

Sandman
Wow, talk about hysterical fanboy!

-hh
Indeed. Stikes one as a classical case of being in denial for buyer's remorse.

Nashton
Really? The main reason I bought this thing was the form factor and to browse the web and experience it as it is meant to be experienced, Flash and all.

Alan Baker
Who decides the way the web was "meant to be experienced", Nicolas?

The way the web is meant to be experienced is a function of what is available. To date, it has evolved using Flash. I very much enjoy Flash and so do millions upon millions of users. Every mobile device that is produced by Apple is crippled. No matter how you spin it or sugar coat it.

When you use your iPad (if you even own one-you're just being an evangelist for it because it is made by Apple), or an iPhone, you are using a device that is crippled.

Tell the truth:

If it weren't for the fact that this gives you a chance to slam Apple, you'd be all over how wrong it is for a single company (Adobe) to control an aspect of the internet with a proprietary format.

Of course, in your delusional fanguuurl mind, the intentions of posters that don't toe the line are to "slam" your beloved Apple.

Nashton
My real tablet, which happens to be a real computer (in the sense that it runs desktop computer apps that I use) is my Iconia.

Alan Baker
So, not in any real sense of the word "real" then...

A real computer, by my definition (just to help you out because you seem to be struggling with it-always willing to help) is a computer on which one can run all applications available to desktop units. This is not the case with the iPad. The iPad, is a dumbed down "computer" used mostly for content than real productivity.

People are not replacing their desktops/laptops with iPads, they are complimenting them.

Now, go play your mind games where they'll bite.