Re: XP mem usage musings

Alan Baker
SubjectRe: XP mem usage musings
FromAlan Baker
Date02/01/2012 21:04 (02/01/2012 12:04)
Message-ID<alangbaker-CCCDDC.12044801022012@news.shawcable.net>
FollowsAD

In article <65ebc0e3-f2ea-4c88-b836-021791b6d336@l14g2000vbe.googlegroups.com>, AD <isquat@gmail.com>wrote:

AD
I've replaced dead hdd in my dv1013us yesterday, installed xp sp2 on hd160hc and guess what?

it fits in under 100 megs of ram. granted, i could make linux run on less than 16 but with xp you get a user friendly os and media buttons work. gonna install hp slugware to bring memory usage to 200 megs so that I don't feel too bad looking at the activity monitor system memory page:

writing this from a last gen 8mb 17" macbook pro running 10.7.2 bloatware solely so that xcode can work (strangely xcode 4.2.1 is just a tad over 300 megs today. 4.3p3 looks pretty good also stability wise not sure who got whacked but it seems to solidify, gradually)

Don't you think that's just a tad disingenuous; comparing today's Mac OS X to an OS more than 6 years old?

You should really compare the RAM footprint of XP to Mac OS X 10.3...

...or you should compare 10.7.2 to Windows 7.

-)

-- "The iPhone doesn't have... ...well, since Edwin seems to have finally crawled away for good, I guess I'll let him off the hook